If you’re anything like me, the need to be at the airport 3 hours early means a lot of waiting. I am the breed who'd rather be early to avoid the stress and rushing of being late. Thus, I am stuck with long waits.
Here are some tips I’ve learned to survive the long hauls.
1. Preparation is key.
- Charge your devices and have a portable battery charged!
- All the snacks! Try a low-salt and non-smelly, your fellow passengers will thank you! I love with the small squeezable packs from Justin's almond butter.
- Download your favorite television shows, and movies (Shout out to Netflix and Amazon Prime!)
- Lastly, check the status of your flight before you leave.
2. Dressing for Airplanes
- I wear my heaviest shoes to save weight in my luggage.
- Comfortable clothes and layers are essential. I go for leggings, a tank top, and a cardigan or a sweater.
- A scarf is your most versatile item. I love a blanket scarf! It can double as a pillow, a blanket, or even an eye mask if you're crafty!
- A travel pillow is life changing! I caved and bought one and now 7+ hour flights only feel like 6+ hours. I use mine as a lumbar support, a seat cushion, and a pillow. I recommend one with memory foam as opposed to beans, I find more support from the foam ones.
3. Airplane Beauty
- Chapsticks! I have about 4 with me at all times! I sometimes will splurge and get Burt's Bees lip balm, I always stick with the classic.
- Sheet masks are my new favorite beauty item. If I do an overnight flight, I always carry a sheet mask for the "morning." My skin tends to dry out and feel dull from the airplane air, I carry a rejuvenating or hydro boost mask.
- Facial wipes and brushing your teeth will make you feel like a new person. I use a one from Simple because they stray from harsh chemicals and I use either Lush Toothy Tabs or traditional toothpaste. Remember that if you bring it on an airplane it needs to fit the TSA restrictions aka 3.4oz! I'll use the facial wipes, then a mask (in my seat) followed by brushing my teeth (in the bathroom)!
- I will always do my eyebrows because I am vain like that. I’ll wait until I land to do the rest of my makeup! This usually includes concealer, mascara, and maybe some eyeshadow too!
4. Miscellaneous Items
- Carry an empty water bottle! Hydration is so essential.
- Download your airline mobile app.
- Find a good seat near flight information board.
- Take regular bathroom breaks.
- Make sure you get up and walk around periodically. Roll your ankles get up and stretch. Don’t be obnoxious to other flyers and the flight attendants.
- Carry a spare coin pouch for foreign currency. That way it isn’t getting mixed with your local currency.
- Long layover? Find a secluded space, lay down and put your feet up the wall, above your head. This help with stress, long travel, and leg cramps).
- When handling your luggage, be mindful! The last thing you want to do is strain a muscle before getting on a long haul flight.
5. What I Wish I could Do On The Long Hauls
- Lay on the floor and cry.
- Lay on the floor and take a nap.
- Splurge on an airline lounge pass.
- Splurge on a first class ticket.
6. Last Tip For All You Go-People!
- Bring some candy for your flight attendants! Individually wrapped and hard candies, like Werther's Original. Often this doesn’t lead to anything, but I find it to be a nice gesture for a hard working flight crew
Travel-Focused Credit Cards
I've been looking into different travel credit cards, I’ve heard great things about Chase and Capital One. I have Bank of America and I am looking to switch soon!
What are some of your favorite travel hacks and tips?
*the links posted are not affiliate or sponsored links. I receive no commission from them. Just some helpful links and some of my favorite items